Update on the site

jewels76
Site Admin

Update on the site

Post by jewels76 »

It's been some time since I last posted. A lot has happened in the world, primarily COVID-19 lashing out and affecting everyone to varying degrees.
I do hope everyone in the community and your families are managing well given the pandemic. For the current phpBB site, it is funded until December 2023 currently, to ensure we are golden. I encourage everyone to make use of the site.

The new site is still in progress. Albeit much slower than I like, mainly due to issues above, but also found the limit of my abilities.
While the backend of the site is nearly complete, offering a number of really cool features. At some point, I need to lay these out, and will do so in a separate post. The current work is held up for 2 issues; creating APIs for the front-end components, and experience with creating the front-end with CSS3 and HTML5, and no Javascript. I toyed with using Bootstrap, but it made things a bit too blocky looking. Customization is possible and encouraged, and herein lies my lack of experience, in my customizations are not working out. I have found a front-end developer to help me out. The big issue, they are a paid resource, so this moves as I can afford to pay them for the work. I'm also continuing to work on my skills to continue this work.
I'm re-working the main page to tie in with the code base. And this work will tie in nicely with the rest of the site as well.

Please don't lose faith. Work is still on-going, and I know you will like what has been created.
Lensecap
Content Creator

Re: Update on the site

Post by Lensecap »

Thanks for the update, yeah Covid and its hit on the economy is really starting to hurt...ugh
jewels76
Site Admin

Re: Update on the site

Post by jewels76 »

Been awhile since I last updated, especially as we get closer to Fall and the end of the year.
I've made some great progress on the site as of now, I have a number of pages running and I'm able to create a partial profile, upload images and modify the profile from the frontend.
The design is built on the latest version of .NET 5 framework, under the Blazor framework. The site is currently using a SQL Server database, and a back end server which is accessible from REST APIs.
I have implemented a JSON Web Tokens for security, and established a permissions layer that will provide a great degree of access over your content.
From your profile, there is the typical personal details, and the ability to control precisely who has visibility to the more sensitive information. For example, you can allow your email address to be available to your close friends on the site, but everyone else won't see any of that data. We will be able to discuss these pieces in more detail once the Beta is opened up.
Beyond this naturally, uploading content to the server is part of the package, and will be stored in your personal gallery. This content is also selectable on who can see what.
I have posted some screenshots of the raw development of the UI Frontend, designed for use with a phone (Mobile-First) layout, but expandable to your Pad or Desktop.
Currently, I'm finishing up the components that build out the Profile page, which is your first page into the site.
I'll continue to post updates here as things complete. I'm pushing as hard as I can to get this out, but in a usable format.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Also - check out the Discord channel if you haven't as I'm usually active there as CaptCoder.

Thanks again everyone