Site Update - January 23, 2022

CaptCoder

Site Update - January 23, 2022

Post by CaptCoder »

Update on the site: First off, work has been paused since ~November of last year. Two major items hit with the code, first the front-end framework I was using for the site stopped support abruptly. This was a direct result of COVID, and the prevailing rumor is the main author died. Without their direction, the code base is withering. Switched to a new framework for the front-end which will look as well. Next that happened, .NET 6 was released. This is deemed a LTS or Long-Term Support, and the recommended version to use for project longevity. In my move to this version, found additional database items had been modified to improve performance and other factors, which I had previously coded to get around certain shortcomings. This is requiring a re-work of some of the backend components to use this highly tested functionality, rather than code I developed. This work had begun.

Then comes issue two, real life interruption. My workplace has migrated our on-premises systems to AWS at the end of October. This took considerable effort to perform, and I was one of the key members making this migration happen. As part of our move to AWS, my management is requiring AWS certification to maintain my job. Given my high level, it requires a lot of studying and tests, which I'm undergoing. We are also facing a staff shortage, our team is down 3 developers, forcing us to get twice the amount of work done. We had openings to fill those positions, but was pulled, due to overspend on the AWS migration. Seems the Cloud team underestimated the cost of our move, forcing severe cuts in staffing. This has resulted in my workload jumping to 60-70 hours per week, PLUS hours for studying and certifications. I'm hoping this will break soon, though I'm nearly a point of looking for a new position somewhere else.
The project isn't dead, just delayed while I handle these issues.
Thanks for bearing with me.
Lensecap
Content Creator

Re: Site Update - January 23, 2022

Post by Lensecap »

good gravy good luck!